While the global theme is “Orange the World: End Violence Against Women Now!” South Sudan adopted “Take Action, Be Accountable: End Violence against Women and G
The Year 2021 marks the 30th anniversary of the Global 16 Days of Activism Campaign Against Gender Based Violence, inspired by the vision and history of the Campaign which is focused on raising awareness about violence against women (VAW). Program activities to end gender-based violence (GBV) are a major focus of the Ministry of Gender, Child and Social Welfare in partnership with the United Nations in South Sudan.
While the global theme is “Orange the World: End Violence Against Women Now!” South Sudan adopted “Take Action, Be Accountable: End Violence against Women and Girls, a departure from raising awareness to upholding accountability. The national theme aims at holding everyone accountable the deplorable acts of GBV. The Ministry of Gender, Child and Social Welfare and the United Nations in South Sudan in collaboration with other stakeholders are jointly hosting series of activities as they launch the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence on 25 November till 10th December that marks Human Rights Day. Over the past two years, the effects of the global COVID-19 pandemic cannot be overlooked as gender based violence, particularly domestic violence against women and girls, teen-age pregnancies and other violations of women’s rights have witnessed an upsurge in South Sudan and around the world.
According to the Gender Based Violence Information Management System (GBV IMS) report, a total of 6,237 Incidents of GBV were reported from January to September 2021in nine states out of the ten in South Sudan, of these, 97% of survivors are female. It is worth noting that Women and girls are disproportionately affected by GBV incidents; the report also identifies physical assault as the top most type of GBV standing at 36%, followed by emotional abuse at 25% sexual violence (rape) at 18% and sexual assault standing at (4%) giving a cumulative account of 22% of the reported incidents. The data further shows, 28% of survivors are below the age of 18 years, bringing out the complex and perpetual issue of violation of child rights, as child sexual abuse and early marriage account for 31% and 11% of the incidents perpetrated against children respectively.
The Ministry of Gender, Child and Social Welfare and United Nations together launched the Campaign through an art exhibition ‘Noor-Le-Humon’ to put spotlight on the issues of gender based violence. The exhibition is curated by South Sudanese artists to depict issues of gender based violence and generate public discussion to find collective solution.
The Ministry of Gender, Child and Social Welfare in partnership with UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, will hold a three-day joint conference with the National Traditional Chiefs and the Government to discuss the roadmap for ending child marriage, shed light on different approaches including consistent and sustained awareness raising on GBV prevention and response.
The 16 Days of Activism launch event was open to the public in various platforms including online attendance, and conference with people with disabilities, discussion forum with men to strengthen the role of men and boys, film shows on child marriage, and will culminate on 10 December, through Human Rights Day, with a Policy Dialogue on Access to Health for Survivors of Conflict-Related Sexual Violence in South Sudan.
UN entities involved in this initiative
United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women